Let me tell you something, I am one big fan of everything-Mexican! And I literally mean everything. In addition, lately, I’ve been on quinoa craze ( which means I’ve been using it more than usual, which is VERY OFTEN ).
You know what that means?
It means I had no other way than to came up with a new dish that combines both, Mexican vibe and healthy benefits of quinoa. So, I made this healthier alternative to Mexican rice, Mexican quinoa.
Just look at the list of ingredients, you get protein from the quinoa and black beans, healthy fats from the avocado, and lots of micronutrients from just about everything here. So, in other words, it’s something you can feel great about eating.
This recipe is:
- packed with protein
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch kosher salt and ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Put the rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth into the pot and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer gently until the quinoa absorbs all the water ( about 10-15 minutes ).
- While the quinoa is cooking, in one pan saute diced onion and garlic on some water ( or you could use olive oil ). Add the rest of the veggies, from the list herbs, and spices. Saute it for few minutes, when it’s all done add cooked quinoa into it and stir very well.
- Lastly, squeeze some lime over it and add chopped avocado.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Did you like this recipe? Please, leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
Have a nice day!
If you like what you see don’t forget to go and check out my other social networks: